Insurance Coverage for Full-Time RV Living

Get the best protection for your RV—and everything inside—before you head out.

The great American road trip is so popular these days it’s created renewed fervor for seriously extended travel and full-time RV living—and even sparked a movement known as #vanlife on social media. Before you set out on your own adventure, make sure you get the right insurance for your house on wheels.

What type of insurance do I need for full-time RV living?

If you’re embarking on a long-term trip, your RV is not only your vehicle but also your home. RV insurance—which combines elements of auto insurance and homeowners insurance—offers you the best protection.

RV insurance generally provides (up to policy limits):

  • Bodily injury coverage, which may pay for medical care if you cause a collision that injures other people
  • Property damage coverage, which may cover repairs if you damage another vehicle
  • Collision and comprehensive coverage, which may pay for damage to your RV if you hit an object, such as a tree or guardrail, or if falling rocks or vandals strike
  • Uninsured motorist coverage, which may pay medical bills if you or your passengers are injured after being hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver
  • Medical payments coverage, which may pay for medical care if you or your passengers are injured in an accident, regardless of who was at fault

RV owners can also add optional personal property coverage, which may help pay to repair or replace belongings like furniture and appliances, and travel expenses coverage, which may pay for a hotel and rental car if you need shelter and wheels while your damaged RV gets repaired. (To explore options for RV coverage, talk with an AAA Insurance agent and get a free quote today.)

Beyond your insurance policy, AAA Plus RV Members (available only in Arizona and Utah) also receive emergency fuel delivery, tire changes, locksmith reimbursement, battery service, and up to 100 miles of towing per breakdown. If your RV gets stuck—whether in a ditch or in mud—you get winching and extrication services too.

Will my coverage differ if I’m continuously traveling or parking my RV for long periods of time?

Most states require that you carry liability coverage while driving your RV. Full coverage may be optional, but if you skip it and are involved in a collision, your bank account could take a major hit. Before turning down full coverage, consider whether you could truly afford to pay for any damages, as well as other people’s medical expenses, if you’re at fault. If your RV is being financed, your lender may require you to purchase full coverage.

If your RV isn’t drivable, insurance coverage is optional.

I plan to put some of my belongings into a storage unit while I’m traveling. How do I make sure they’re covered?

Your homeowners or renters insurance may cover your personal property, even when it’s kept in a storage facility away from home, so check with your insurance agent.

If not, find out whether your storage facility offers personal property insurance. Share details of its coverage and limits with your RV Insurance agent to make sure the policy meets your needs. If you own valuable items like antiques or jewelry, for example, you may want to purchase floater insurance.

Is coverage the same for an RV as it is for a car and a trailer?

No. If you use your vehicle to tow a trailer, your auto insurance typically covers your trailer too. Check with your insurance agent for specific details of your coverage.

Can I use my current health insurance while on the road?

Check into your current health insurance policy to find out their requirements for coverage. Some carriers may have specific requirements.