The Ask an Agent series answers popular questions about car insurance with expert advice from AAA Insurance agents. In this installment, agent Samantha Reddick explains which policies cover vehicle break-ins and property theft.
Someone broke into my car and stole some holiday packages. Will my auto insurance reimburse me for the loss?
Reddick: That would be covered under your homeowners—or renters or condo—insurance policy as personal property, and you’d be responsible for paying your deductible. If there is damage to your auto, it would be covered under your auto insurance. If they broke a window to get to your packages or damaged anything that’s permanently attached to the vehicle, [the repairs] would be covered under comprehensive.
Does it matter if my car was unlocked?
Reddick: If you’re negligent, it could be perceived as [if you’re] doing it on purpose, which would be considered fraud. But property theft is covered under your homeowners, renters, or condo insurance. As a reminder, you should always put packages in the trunk where they’re not visible [to passersby]. Keep your car locked to protect your property.
About the Agent
Samantha Reddick joined AAA as a sales agent in 2009 and became a branch agent 2017.
- Nickname: Sam.
- Favorite road trip: Cross-country trips in my grandparents’ motorhome when I was a child.
- Hobby: I have had horses my entire life, and I compete in barrel racing.
- First car: Chevrolet S-10.
- Dream car: 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible.
- Current obsession: Anything chocolate.
- Favorite AAA perks: Discounts and travel advice.
- Best advice received: Everything is temporary; change is inevitable.
How to contact AAA Insurance agent Samantha Reddick:
AAA Scottsdale Branch
14850 N. Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd., Ste. 111
Provides assistance in English.
Read more Ask an Agent articles:
- Can I save on car insurance if I have a teen driver at home?
- Can college-age drivers save on car insurance?
- What should I know about insuring a new car?
- How can I save on my car insurance?
- Is pay-per-mile auto insurance right for me?
- How do I talk to my parents about their driving?
- Does the type of car I drive affect my insurance rate?
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the interviewee and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of AAA. Products and their features may not be available in all states. Multipolicy and other discounts vary based upon eligibility. Discounts not cumulative; certain restrictions apply. Term Policy Form Series: ICC11-1201/TL-1201. Insurance products in California offered through AAA Northern California Insurance Agency, License #0175868, in Nevada by AAA Nevada, in Utah by AAA Utah, in Arizona through AAA Arizona, Inc., License #8301727, and in Wyoming through AAA Mountain West Inc., License No. 172603. The provider of AAA Auto and Home Insurance is CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer. All policies are subject to policy terms, underwriting, guidelines, and applicable laws.